Saturday, March 1, 2014

[ISEP] An Update on Everything So Far - Becca's Meltdowns

Okay, it's been a LONG time since I last updated with an entry concerning my ISEP application and such.

January 17 was my university's deadline for the ISEP application for the Fall 2014 semester or 2014-2015 academic year. The actual program deadline is April 15 (priority deadline: February 15) but my university does an early deadline so that our coordinator can gather all the applications and send them off together. I sent mailed mine to the coordinator on January 16 and sent it overnight. She received my application the next day but it wasn't complete...

Only one of my professors had turned in an academic reference. 


When my coordinator told me this, I was freaking out. I was already on edge because I was relying on these references from professors I had never met. As an online student, I barely had any interaction with these professors so most of them said no when I asked for a reference. Luckily, two of my professors agreed to do the references anyways, my psychology and logic professors. I'm glad they agreed because those are the two classes I had the highest grades in.

My coordinator had received the reference letter and form from my psychology professor but hadn't heard anything from my logic professor. So I quickly sent an e-mail to him, asking about it. Luckily, he got back to me fairly quick. He said that he had already sent it in but if she hadn't received it, he would send it in again since he made a copy. I didn't really care because all I cared about was that it was actually done and he just needed to send it to her office. Whew. Crisis averted.

One thing that did confuse me, and still does, is the fact that I asked my ISEP coordinator if I needed to come to campus and sign the academic reference sheets since it requires my signature. She said it was okay so I'm really hoping it is. I haven't heard anything yet... so I don't know. If ISEP sends it back for my signatures tho, it can delay the whole process.

ISEP began reviewing the applications on February 15. It takes up to 4 weeks to place a student at an university that ISEP thinks would suit them. Then it takes up to 4 weeks for that university to confirm that student's placement. So up to 8 weeks in total.

It's been approximately 2 weeks and I'm going absolutely crazy.

Every time I think about the whole process and my application, I want to slam my head against a wall or something. I'm not confident at all about my essays. I think I made my personal statement too personal. And my university essays too vague. I only feel regret towards my essay and I have no self confidence. Ugh, if only I had a chance to re-write them.

Another aspect that has me concerned is my gpa. Ewha Womans University only requires at minimum a 2.5 gpa to admit a student. My gpa is 3.0 (I really wish it was higher). I keep thinking that because my gpa is average that they will select those with higher averages first. I just want to scream.


At least Ewha has the highest chance of placement out of the other sites in South Korea. As you can see, on the ISEP website, it states that Ewha has an "excellent" chance of placement.


So I'm hoping that I will get selected to study at Ewha even if my gpa and essays were not so... desirable.

Don't get me wrong though, I do have periods of confidence where I'm sure I will get placed. So I hope I try to keep having more of these periods rather than those periods of no confidence.

AHHHHHHHHH! BECCA GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF! YOU WILL GET PLACED AND YOU WILL GO TO SOUTH KOREA!

No comments:

Post a Comment