Friday, November 8, 2013

[ISEP] Meeting with Coordinator

So, yesterday, I traveled to Hays, KS to Fort Hays State University to meet with the ISEP coordinator. Since I am a virtual student who takes classes online, this was the first time that I had been to campus which is about 3 hours away from where I live. Anyone thinking about going to FHSU should definitely do it. The campus was beautiful and all the staff I spoke to were very kind.


Apparently, the next semester, my university is actually taking in 20 Korean students. I'm not sure if they are part of the ISEP program but it was exciting to hear that it does happen. I was concerned about if there would be a student that would want to study at FHSU while I went their university. And it seems, I don't really have to worry about that too much. Whew!

The ISEP coordinators basically just went over the application process and answered any questions that I had about the program. They assured me that I would most likely get placed in South Korea since it's not one of the countries that a lot of students are wanting to go study in. Which is really a shame but great for me since it increases my odds! They also recommended me a few other countries to list on my application, just in case, such as Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland. No matter where I'm placed, I want to be somewhere that will be adventurous. I don't want the UK or Canada just because it seems too easy as English speaking countries. I want a challenge!

Since I already did all my research about courses and the education systems at the universities in South Korea, all I have left to do are my essays and have two of my professors write academic reference letters. After my application is sent in and if I get approved for a site, the coordinator told me that once again, I will have to travel to FHSU to visit with a group of advisors. I will need to meet with my overall college advisor for my degree, a degree analyst, the ISEP coordinator, and financial aid. My advisor and the degree analyst will go over what kind of courses I will need to take while I'm studying abroad and such. Which is another one of those really important things to consider. Gotta make sure those credits transfer over!

Overall, the meeting just helped the coordinators assure that I was ready for the process and wanting to go abroad. They thought I was ready since I was so excited and did so much research already which really helps. After all, they are going to be writing a reference letter too!

Mostly, they were excited to see a virtual student to advantage of the program since a lot of online students do not realize that they are able to participate as well. In fact, I'm going to be their first virtual student applying for the program! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment